Millet is a really amazing seed that I am rather obsessed with it at the moment. This tiny power seed is rich in iron, B vitamins and calcium! It is alkalizing and naturally gluten-free. Millet has quite a neutral flavour. Once it is toasted, it takes on a light nutty flavour. It can be used for sweet and savoury recipes, and it comes in several different forms.
This recipe uses millet flakes! Millet flakes are a fantastic gluten-free alternative to porridge oats. They are smaller and so they cook quite quickly. Combined with coconut milk, they make the creamiest porridge! My millet porridge is gluten-free and dairy-free! You could make it vegan friendly by substituting the honey for maple syrup!
So easy to make, and really fills you up! I hope you enjoy making it as much as I did eating it!
Serves 2 (or 1 greedy person)
- 1/2 cup of millet flakes
- 1.5 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- a pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- a sprinkling of pecan nuts
- 5 fresh strawberries
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp goji berries
- a generous squeeze of honey to sweeten
- Heat the millet flakes, salt, vanilla powder and milk in a pan. Bring to the boil and then simmer until the porridge has reached the desired consistency.
- Serve into bowls and garnish with fruit, nuts, seeds and a generous squeeze of honey!
Told you it was simple! Have a good week everyone!