My super speedy summer couscous salad requires no cooking and can be ready in less than 15 minutes. It is my go-to lunch when I need something healthy, quick and delicious. It’s ideal for those moments when you have over-binged on Netflix, it’s about 10pm and you need something prepped for lunch the next day!
I think the chopped vegetables look so pretty nestled amongst the cous cous! It makes a great addition to picnics or BBQs too!
Now the actual inspiration for this recipe came from this amazing couscous salad a school friend of mine used to bring in, when we were in high school. I remember we all thought it tasted so nice, we used to try and swap her our sandwiches! Hers used to have these tiny cubes of cheddar cheese in, but I find that delicious crumbly feta tastes even better! You can really use whatever vegetables that you like, but I think that the following vegetables are a match made in heaven!
This recipe makes a giant tub of salad. Simply store this in the fridge and scoop into portable tuppawear when you need it!
You will need:
- Three spring onions
- One red onion
- One red pepper
- Half a cucumber (de seeded and diced)
- A handful flat leaf parsley
- A handful of feta cubes
- Two cups of couscous
- Three cups of boiling water
- One tablespoon bouillon powder
- Salt and pepper to season
- A dash of olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- One tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- Pour the couscous, bouillon powder and salt and pepper into a large heat proof bowl. Cover in the boiling water and leave for ten minutes. I normally cover the bowl with a plate.
- In the meantime, chop the vegetables into little pieces and set aside.
- Dice the feta and set aside with the vegetables.
- When the couscous has absorbed the liquid, fluff with a fork and stir in olive oil, lemon juice, mayonnaise, vegetables, cheese and pine nuts. Sprinkle liberally with the parsley. Taste and season if required!
- Enjoy hot or cold! This should keep for about three days in the fridge.
And that is it! So so simple. Beautiful fresh vegetables with fragrant couscous! Enjoy!