Ratatouille is a great way to get loads of delicious vegetables into your diet. It is also the perfect dish to put together if you are short on time. It’s basically a chop and bake deal, which allows you to get on with other things! Man, I love these kinds of recipes!
What I love about this dish is the amazing flavour that the vegetables take on after you roast them. I think that courgette, red onion, red peppers and tomatoes are a match made in heaven. Slow roasting them in the oven really allows all the flavours to infuse and makes them really delicious. You can use this ratatouille to top a variety of things: pasta, couscous, rice, risotto or bruschetta. The list is pretty endless. It tastes pretty good the next day, warmed up too! This recipe makes around four big portions. Here is what you will need:
- A glug of olive oil
- 2 courgettes
- 5 mushrooms
- 1 large red onion
- 2 carrots
- A handful of frozen pepper slices
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- three sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 can chick peas – drained
- 1 tbsp green pesto
- 1 glug of white wine (optional)
- two cans of tinned tomatoes 800g in total.
- To serve – couscous or buckwheat groats or brown rice.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 5.
- Chop all the vegetables into small pieces. Scatter the pieces into a baking tray and drizzle olive oil over them. Drain the chickpeas and add to the vegetables. Season with the spices and herbs and roast for about 30 minutes or until soft. Do not let them burn.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes, wine and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the pesto. Roast on low (gas mark 4) for around 30 to 40 minutes. The tinned tomatoes should reduce and the sauce should thicken.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
2 thoughts on “Summer Ratatouille”
Mmmm this sounds delicious. Just pinned to try later, hopefully this week! Thanks for the inspiration x
You are welcome! Thank you for following The Brighton Kitchen! I hope you enjoy the ratatouille! It really is delicious 😀 Let us know how you get on! xx