I will begin this post with a photo. Because I have heard that pictures speak a thousand words…
This luxurious extravaganza is my Chocolate & Maca ‘Thickie’ shake…It is one of my favourite ways to start my day. Thick, chocolatey amazingness.
Would you believe me if I told you that it was dairy-free and sugar-free? Well you should believe me, because it’s true – and it is made with only 5 ingredients (along with your favourite toppings).
This is one of my trialled and tested ways to satisfy sweet cravings AND get a nutritious, on-the-go breakfast. It requires a teeny tiny bit of prep, you must peel, slice and freeze a banana. I mean you CAN use a fresh banana and it won’t be the end of the world. But the frozen banana is where the magic really happens. Adding the banana basically turns a delicious smoothie, into what I like to refer to as a ‘thickie’. It is like this beautiful hybrid creation – half smoothie, half ice cream. Maybe I am a bit obsessed with breakfast for dessert recently – as demonstrated with my Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats, but this is SUCH a delicious way to start your day. It also makes a great recovery drink after you have exercised.
I love topping mine with things like bee pollen, desiccated coconut and freeze-dried fruit powders! So, so good – it will tempt even the hardiest of smoothie-haters.
Here is how I did it!
- one frozen (but previously ripe) banana
- 1 dessertspoonful of Maca Powder
- 1 dessertspoonful of Cacao Powder
- 1 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1 mug of Coconut Milk (Kara)
- Put all ingredients into a blender. It must be a powerful blender to achieve a smooth consistency! I use my trusty nutribullet. Let the blender do its thing.
- Decant, carefully into your favourite glass. Top with your favourite toppings – I use bee pollen or desiccated coconut normally.
- Drink up!
Happy Friday everyone!