By a show of hands, who overindulged this Christmas?
So guilty of this. So. much. cheese… Also how do those tiny canapés pack in so many calories? How??
Anyway, if you are like me and you feel the need to nourish your body with some delicious goodness – then look no further! I made this nicecream bowl the day after boxing day. I had managed to consume two roast dinners and endless amounts of canapés over the course of the festive break, and my body felt like it had turned into a (veggie) sausage roll. So I made this delicious bowl of yum. It was chocolatey enough to trick my mind into thinking I was being indulgent – but actually packed with goodness.
Nicecream is a popular dairy-free substitute for ice cream. The secret ingredient? Frozen bananas. When I learnt how to make it, I thought that I had developed magic powers. How could the simple banana turn into something so creamy and delicious?
I still think that magic has some part of this.
All you do is chop and freeze a couple of ripe bananas. Once they have frozen you add them to a blender, along with your favourite flavours and blend. I personally like a tbsp of cacao powder with mine. The result is what tastes like ice cream! You don’t need to add sugar or cream, and it tastes amazing. The natural sugars from the ripe banana make it sweet enough!
My nicecream bowl is sort of a mix between a thick smoothie and nicecream. I wanted a consistency that was like ice cream soup – and boy was it dreamy!
I felt so much better after and it set me on course to eating better for the New Year. Of course, you can mix up the flavours and add what you like, but this is my personal favourite.
Here is how I did it. This recipe serves one greedy person or two normal people.
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1.5 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 teaspoon maca powder
- 1 cup of coconut milk (not canned, you need the milk alternative type)
- 1 heaped tsp Bee Pollen
- Fresh Berries (I used raspberries and blueberries)
- Blitz the bananas, cacao powder, maca powder and coconut milk until you have a smooth consistency. I used my Nutribullet for this. Add more coconut milk if necessary.
- Pour into bowls
- Top with fruit and bee pollen
- Slurp and feel supremely satisfied that you made something so bloody delicious.
I love simple recipes. Here are other combinations that would work really well:
- frozen bananas + fresh strawberries + coconut milk
- frozen bananas + cashew milk + vanilla powder + maca powder
- frozen bananas + cashew milk + matcha green tea powder + vanilla
Hope you enjoy this one! Happy 2016 everyone!